Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A random smattering of stuff.

Mostly I just wanted to use the word smattering.

I love my sweet girl (I always feel like I have to preface things like this...) but she is, er, high needs.  Always has been.  So Ben, the little trooper he is, has happily handed over his spot as the baby of the family to allow us to focus our energy on Addie.

Some days I feel like he really got the short end of the stick.  We were all, "Oh, there's a baby in mommy's tummy!" and he was all, "What?" and then we brought him to the hospital and we were like, "Surprise!  The baby!" and from then on, life became, "Don't touch the baby like that," "Stop it, you're making her cry," "No, she can take your toys but you can't take hers.  I know it makes no sense but it's the world you now live in," and "You must no longer make noise during the hours of 9-11 a.m. and 1-3 p.m." and other such unfairness.

So every once in awhile, I want to spoil him.  To death.  I want to lavish him with gifts and cookies and McNuggets and kisses.  So sometimes I do.  But it doesn't happen very often.  I'm honestly not even sure why.  OH...right...because I had a baby attached to my body for the last 11 months.  How quickly I forget once she's weaned.

Anyway.

This weekend, I decided we both needed to shake things up.  Let's have some FUN!  So we went to Subway and Hobby Lobby Saturday night.  Let that sink in a minute.

For fun...on a Saturday night...I took my just-about-three-year-old to Hobby Lobby and Subway.  And honestly?  Better than any bar or fancy restaurant of days gone by.

Because that wasn't enough, Sunday I took him on his first movie theater excursion.  MUPPETS!  Dude.  Awesome cheesy movie.  I had way more fun than Ben, which is saying a lot because he was totally mesmerized.  And I just have to say this because I haven't been in a movie theater in probably 5 years but WHAT THE WHAT?!  Hello, my lovely!  When did theaters lose their creaky old chairs in lieu of Grand Poobah recliners and full dining service?  I mean, you have a waiter.  Inside of a movie theater.

A few dates with my little guy was just what the doctor ordered.  I blew through some sewing, too, which is always good for stress relief.  And pricked fingers.

This week has been alright so far.  Kind of a repeat of last week.  Not good, not horrible.  Tolerable in the sometimes-I-lose-my-mind-a-little-but-I'm-hanging-in-there kind of way.  I heard baby's heartbeat today at an appointment with my midwife, so that's always great for the ole spirit.

I'm sick again.  That'd be the third time in 2.5 weeks for anyone who is counting.  Tim's sick.  Also again.  Adalyn's sick.  Also again.  Ben seems to be the only one with an immune system around here.  He had a cough for a day but now seems to be just peachy.  Go figure, the child who got as much formula as breastmilk in his first year is the one with the immune system of steel.

I have my first therapy appointment Friday.  Yay?

1 comment :

  1. I hope everything goes well on Friday!
    I'm a little jealous of your date with Ben at Subway and Hobby Lobby, to be honest!!

    ReplyDelete